As I grew in my education and experience, some common themes began to appear to me:
1) People by and large struggle with some very common challenges in life.
2) Many people are not aware, when asked, why they have made big (and small) decisions in their lives.
3) The perspectives that people have on the world around them vary wildly, and people do not know where their individual perspectives came from.
4) These perspectives color the quality of every single person’s life, NO MATTER WHAT THEIR LIFE IS LIKE.
5) People cannot be helped unless they want to be.
With these themes growing more and more apparent to me, I began to develop a theory on how to help people in all walks of life with their overall life satisfaction. I called this method “Philosophical Counseling.”
While the name did not seem that impressive (and a bit redundant if you know the history of psychology), it started a journey that has culminated in the development of my current program here at Holistic Life Consultants.
Using the research and education I have obtained through my schooling, as well as the thousands of hours of experience that I have had working with populations ranging from Autistic Spectrum Disorders, to those who suffer from schizophrenia, to depression, anxiety, medical issues, to successful business owners, clergy, law enforcement, other psychologists, and with age groups ranging from womb to tomb, and some excellent supervisors and colleagues, I have been developing a way to work with people that lifts the veil of their own perspectives (or paradigms, as I have come to call them). With this new ability, I use evidence-based tools to help each person improve the way the world is experienced, which has far reaching consequences.
My vision of an enhanced life is one where people are aware of their own paradigms, and not slaves to them. My vision is a life of purpose, meaning, and positive perspectives. This world is one where everyone benefits. I have not seen one person who could not benefit from learning these tools, and I have seen the great things that can happen when people take hold of their own perspectives, own them, and grow from changing them.
I hope everyone who reads this can be a part of this vision.